This recipe makes 2 servings and is perfect for a date night or just a sweet treat for whenever! With Valentines day coming up I like to be super cheesy and actually make an effort to make a nice dinner and desert for my husband and I. If you are a chocolate lover and want to impress a date by making a super creamy, frothy and rich hot cocoa from scratch then this is a great recipe!
A small pot (the one I used is too big, but it’s the smallest one I had)
A immersion blender (you can use a regular blender if you don’t have one, but I find it easier to blend the cocoa in the pot and not have to transfer it a standard blender)
- 4 marshmallows
- 2 Ghirardelli milk chocolate w/ caramel squares
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used reduced fat, but the higher percentage milk you use – 2%, whole milk – the richer & creamier the cocoa will be)
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar (you can omit to reduce the sweetness, which I like to do normally)
- 2 1/2 oz. milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Slide one marshmallow on a skewer, then slowly slide the skewer thru the chocolate square – if you go to fast it will crack the square – then finish with a second marshmallow on the opposite side.
- In a small saucepan bring the milk, cinnamon and sugar to a slow boil (milk does boil over very quickly so keep an eye on it!)
- Add in the chopped milk and semisweet chocolate.
- Remove from heat and allow the chocolate to melt (make sure all the chocolate is submerged in the hot milk mixture.)
- Using the immersion blender – or standard blender – puree the mixture (cover the pot with a towel to avoid the coco from splashing out.)
- Pour into mugs and stick your marshmallow & chocolate skewer in the mug for dunking!
Yes, hot cocoa makes me happy! 🙂